Sugar Free Vegan Cinnamon Scrolls
23 January, 2018
By Viky Szilagyi
2/3 cup of coconut nectar
1 cup of soy milk or alternative nut milk (e.g. coconut milk)
¾ vegan butter
3 cups of flour (can be gluten free)
2tsp instant yeast
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
5 tbsp melted coconut butter
1 tbsp coconut nectar
What To Do:
1. Melt 1/4 of the butter on a low heat, add the milk and stir until dissolved. Let cool down to about 40 degrees celsius. If it's too hot, it will kill the yeast. If it's too cold, it won't activate the yeast.
2. Add the yeast to milk, stir until dissolved. Let sit for about 10 minutes, pour into a mixing bowl.
3. Add 1/3 cup coconut nectar, pinch of salt, and sift in the flour, constantly, but gently stirring to combine into a thick mixture. Transfer to a lightly floured surface.
4. Gently knead the dough for about 2 minutes, forming a ball. Oil a bowl with a bit of your butter, place your dough in it and cover for about 45 minutes, leaving to rise in a warm spot. It should double in size.
5. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, forming a thin rectangle, much longer than wide. Brush with melted butter.
6. Combine rest of your coconut nectar with 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 cup butter. Spread along the length of your dough, along the center line and a small amount over the rest of the rectangle. You can sprinkle some more sugar around the rectangle too if you like.
7. Gently roll the dough starting on one of the longer sides of the rectangle. Place seam side down and with a sharp knife, cut into pieces 3-4cm thick.
8. Use some of your remaining butter to butter an oven dish and place your scrolls in it, leaving about 1/2 a centimeter between scrolls. Brush tops with remaining butter. Cover and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Set oven to 170 degrees, fan forced.
9. Place scrolls in oven, bake until slightly browned. About 20 minutes.
10. Mix melted coconut butter with additional 1tbsp coconut nectar until smooth, pour mixture over scrolls while still hot.