Super Crunch Lentil Bites
25 July, 2017
By Nicole Frain
These crunchy lentil bites are highly nutritious and make a perfect breakfast on the go or protein snack.
Nut free | Vegan | Gluten Free option
Makes: 12 squares or bites
• 2/3 cup dry green lentils
• 1 1/2 Tbs organic coconut oil
• 1 tsp coconut sugar
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp coconut flour
• 1/8 tsp sea salt
• 45g quick oats**
• 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
• 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
• 1 Tbs sunflower seeds
• 60g dark chocolate chips* - plus extra for coating/dipping
• 2 Tbs coconut or almond milk
• 1 Tbs coconut flower nectar
What to do:
• Preheat your oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
• Rinse lentils and transfer them to a small saucepan. Cover them with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
• Lower heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes
• Drain lentils and transfer them to a small mixing bowl.
• Stir in the 1/2tbsp coconut oil and coat the lentils. Sprinkle with the coconut sugar, cinnamon, coconut flour and sea salt and stir well. Note: you can also do this on a stove top fry pan.
• Spread lentils evenly onto lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway (and keep an eye on them if they start to burn!)
• Set the lentils aside to cool (spread out on a flat surface - cutting board works well)
• Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, protein, seeds, shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
• Add in crispy lentils, remaining melted coconut oil, milk and maple.
• You may need to let the mix ‘cool’ a bit, if the coconut oil is to warm going in, it will not hold.
• When workable consistency, either press into a lined brownie tin or roll into bites.
Optional: topping or dipping in dark chocolate
Best stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
*choose vegan chocolate for vegan options, or your own personal preference. You can also choose to omit completely.
**swap for buckinis, chopped cashews or gluten free oat alternative.
per serve (24g) /per 100g
Energy (Kj): 374/1560 | Protein (g): 4.4/18.4 | Fats (g): 4.2/17.6 | Fats (sat.) (g): 2.5/10 | Carbohydrates (g): 7.6/31.8 | Sugar (g): 2.3/9.6 | Sodium (mg): 9/38