Raw Cacao Fudge
25 August, 2015
By Matthew Bate and Tegan Steele
Raw cacao and fresh coconut are a match made in heaven, making this superfood treat an absolute delight.
1 1/2 cups cashew nuts
Pinch of himalayan salt
Juice of one lemon or orange
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup organic maple syrup or coconut nectar
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup mixed nuts, dried fruit or shredded coconut or superfood like chia seeds and goji berries.
1. Soak the cashews for 1-2 hours. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Blend the cashew nuts until fine in a food processor.
2. Add all dry ingredients to the already blended cashew nuts. Combine all the ingredients together well in the food processor.
3. Add the maple syrup, lemon juice and melted coconut oil (slowly warm the coconut oil to form a liquid by sitting the glass jar in hot water for a few minutes) before adding to the food processor.
4. Line a baking try with baking paper leaving the side edges out of the tray to assist removing once set. Pour the mixture into the tray topping with mixed nuts, dried fruit, shredded coconut or super-foods.
5. Place in the freezer for 3- 6 hours until set.
6. After 3-6 hours remove the fudge from the tray and chop into small portions. You can also use cookie cutters to make special shapes.
This fudge is kept best in the fridge.