Healthy Banana Bread
27 April, 2017
By Casey-Lee Lyons
This recipe was designed by Brisbane nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons from Live Love Nourish. For more healthy recipes please visit LiveLoveNourish
Here's my 'free from' healthy banana bread recipe; free from gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, eggs and sugar. Great for snacks and suitable for healthy lunch box treats.
• 4 large ripe bananas (500g peeled), cut into pieces (+ 1 extra to decorate)
• 1/3 cup (80ml) organic coconut oil, melted
• 3/4 cup (110g) buckwheat flour*
• 3/4 cup (60g) organic desiccated coconut
• 2 tsp gf baking powder
• 1 tsp organic vanilla powder
What To Do:
• Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 180°C.
• In a blender (I use a Vitamix) or food processor blend banana and melted coconut oil until smooth (be careful not to over blend*)
• In a medium mixing bowl combine buckwheat, coconut, baking powder and vanilla. Add banana and coconut oil mixture and combine well.
• Pour batter into a lined loaf tin.
• Bake in oven for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through.
• Allow to cool on a baking before slicing.
• Serve warm, toasted or chilled.
Make It Personal:
• To make this recipe a little extra sweeter, stir through chopped dates.
• You can add chopped walnuts to the mixture.
• Decorate the top of the batter with desiccated coconut or slices of banana.
*Despite the name buckwheat does not contain wheat. It is a gluten free pseudocereal (cereal).
*Be careful not to over blend the banana and coconut oil as this may cause the loaf to become denser.
The riper the banana, the sweeter your bread will be.