Sweet & Salty Breakfast Bars
14 February, 2017
By Nicole Frain
These nutritious sweet & salty bars make the perfect breakfast on the go or cut into smaller slices and enjoy as a high energy snack.
Vegetarian | Vegan | Fruit Free | Gluten Free | Dairy Free | No Added Sugar
Inspiration from I Quit Sugar
• 3/4 cup whole raw almonds (105g)
• 1/4c cup almond meal (or additional almonds) (35g)
• ½-1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds) (140g)
• 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (100g)
• 1 cup coconut flakes (100g)
• 125ml coconut oil – melted
• 1/4 cup (62.5ml) coconut flower nectar
• 2 tablespoons (40g) almond butter (or peanut butter)
• 2 scoops (60g) Vanilla Pea or Rice Protein
• 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line one baking tray and one slice/brownie tray with baking paper.
2. Place almonds and pepitas into a food processor and blitz until they form small chunks. Add into a mixing bowl with the buckinis, shredded coconut, almond meal and ⅓ of your melted coconut oil. Mix to combine.
3. Spread the mix over your baking tray. Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 mins, tossing the mixture at 10 minutes until golden.
4. Once crispy and golden brown, remove nut mix from the oven and pour back into the mixing bowl.
5. In another bowl, melt together the remaining coconut oil, nut butter, rice malt syrup.
6. Add to the toasted mix with cinnamon, vanilla, salt and protein. Mix well.
7. Spread the mixture onto your prepared slice tray. Press down mixture firmly. Place in the fridge or freezer to set for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight.
8. Remove from fridge and cut into slices to serve. We serve as 10 large breakfast bars. You can cut to any size you like.
Per 1 bar (75g) / 100g
Energy (kj): 1840/2420 | Protein (g): 13.8/18.1 | Fat (g): 35/22.8 | Fat. Sat. (g) 17.3/22.8 | Carbohydrates (g): 15.7/20.7 | Sugar (g): 4.9/6.5 | Sodium (mg): 102/135