Vegan Jaffa Pancakes
29 June, 2014
1/3 cup Buckwheat flour
1/4 cup Quinoa Flakes or flour (if using flakes, ground into a flour)
2 tbsp desiccated coconut (or 1 tbsp coconut flour)
1-2 tbsp cacao powder
1 level tsp vanilla powder (or splash of vanilla essence)
1 level tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch pink salt
1 tbsp ground chia + 3-4 tbsp water (chia gel/egg replacer)
2-3 tbsp coconut nectar (depending on sweetness you desire)
1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1 cup coconut milk/cream(blended together with the separated liquid) (or any other dairy free alternative)
1 small banana, mashed
1 tbsp chocolate sauce
Chocolate Jaffa sauce:
What to do:
Prepare chocolate sauce by placing a heat proof glass bowl in a saucepan with water, and on a low heat, slowly melt the first three ingredients into a liquid.
Remove the bowl from heat and sift in the cacao powder, add the orange juice, zest and combine until the mixture is smooth and slightly thick.
1. Preheat a large fry pan on medium heat while preparing the mixture.
2. Ground Quinoa flakes and desiccated coconut together (in vitamix or high speed blender) until fine, and sift it into a large bowl together with sifted buckwheat flour and cacao powder.
3. Stir in the vanilla powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and let the mixture sit while preparing the chia mixture (egg replacement).
4. Place the ground chia into a small bowl and stir in 3-4 tbsp of water, making sure the powder is covered in water to allow it to form into a gel.
5. In a medium bowl, place in the coconut milk, coconut nectar (melted into a liquid), orange juice, orange zest and chocolate sauce, and blend to combine.
6. Combine both mixtures together by folding in the liquid ingredients into the dry, removing any lumps and to get it to a desired consistency.
7. Fold in the mashed/chopped banana and chia mixture, and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or so, allowing it to thicken. Add additional water/coconut milk if desired.
8. Place between 1 tsp - 1 tbsp of coconut oil at a time to grease the fry pan, and add approx. 1/4 cup (or slightly less) of mixture at a time. Flip the pancakes once bubbles form in the mixture, and cook for an extra 30 seconds and remove from heat.
Stack the pancakes with fresh fruit, homemade jam of choice and chocolate sauce! Serve them fresh off the pan for best results and a taste sensation!
Makes 2 servings (approximately 10 pancakes). Double the recipe, using 1 large banana in place of the small to make a larger batch!