Coconut Quinoa Porridge
30 October, 2013
Coconut quinoa porridge can be eaten after a meal as a desert or as a sweet and warming breakfast. Add some sliced banana and other fresh fruit or nuts of your choice to garnish.
Prep time: 20 minutes
1 cup of quinoa
1 cup of coconut milk
2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
1 cup of filtered or spring water
2 tblsp organic coconut nectar to sweeten to taste
2 tblsp virgin coconut oil
1 tblsp coconut flakes
1/4 cup of currants or raisins
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped into small pieces
What to do:
1. Wash the quinoa and rinse well
2. In a medium saucepan, over a medium heat, combine 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil
3. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, the water will begin to absorb
4. Add the cinnamon powder and coconut nectar and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or until all of the water is completely absorbed
5. Remove from the heat and mix through the currents, coconut oil and walnuts
6. Serve with fresh fruit, either bananas or fresh berries will work great
7. Garnish with coconut flakes for an added crunch
Notes and Options:
Add some raw cacao powder for a chocolate flavour porridge.
Slice a banana over the top for some added fruit and sweetness. This is also nice with some fresh berries.